Friday, January 01, 2010

On the beach near Dunkirk, and in Bergues, the fortification

We've made it a tradition: around newyear we go to the beach. This time we went to the north of France, near Dunkirk, and while we were at it, visited Bergues, an extremely pretty historic fortification.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: To the beach and more


Back at home, I looked up Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, a film set in the Nord-Pas de Calais, and exactly in the place Bergues we visited yesterday. It's a hilarious and touching story, and for us it was a feast of recognition.
The most successful French film ever! Online it's without subtitles, but there is a dvd version with subtitles available.

2 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Lovely set of photos, Koos. As I said on your photo site, I really love the way the light dances over the water, and it was amusing to see the phone booth.


Happy New Year.

xx
AM

bookworm said...

Hoi Koos,

fantastic pics. I wrote on Val's blog about this part of France. I know it. The only problem I have in France is the language. I don't understand it, and the most French people don't like to speak English or German. I feel lost, if I can't understand anything.

Have a great week.
Stefan xx